|Just off Townsville is Magnetic Island.|
When Traveling through Townsville it a great idea to check out "Magnetic Island" sadly too many people travel from all parts of the world and forget to have a look at "Magnetic Island" Great holiday idea for a day trip or a few days. For more information you can ask at the Reef Lodge Backpackers reception. Or, checkout some other idea on our website www.reeflodge.com.au/things-to-see/
|Most days you will see Wild Koalas on the Forts Walk.|
|This little guy was just a checking out everyone.|
|"One of the baby Koalas at the Forts"|
|One of the great view you will see from the Forts trail.|
- Great idea and photo opportunity while on "Magnetic Island" is take a walk to "The Forts" this has a beautiful view of the Cape Cleveland, Palm Island and the Coral Sea!You'll also get the chance to see "Koala's" in the wild. Best times around 5pm.
- Check out the rock wallabies in Geoffrey Bay in Arcadia. Don't forget your camera these little guys aren't shy.
- There are self guided snorkel trails in Nelly Bay and Geoffrey Bay, not to mention you can snorkel the island's fringing reefs off Arthur and Florence Bays.
- There are a number of ship wreck off "Magnetic Island" you can get self guided tours of these or even a trip to the Yongala for the more adventurist with diving certification.
- The island is home to over 180 species of birds that call the "Magnetic Island" home.
- Drive around the island by road, you can hire cars,bikes and scooters on the island or learn more about island life with a guided tour.
One of the many beautiful beach you can experience.
- There are many walking tracks on the island which will give a chance to explore the island’s National Parks
- You could go to "Bungalow Bay Koala Village" to cuddle a koala or kiss a croc and get a photo to remember the experience.
- "Magnetic Island" has an array of live music. Kick back with a few freinds and a quiet drink.
- Get fired up for alfresco dining with a BBQ, grab your friends (+ food + drinks) and enjoy a great selection of grassy foreshores on the island and take advantage of Picnic Bay, Nelly Bay, Alma Bay and Horseshoe Bay which all have picnic tables and FREE BBQ’s
- Full Moon Down Under Parties at Base Magnetic Island - the biggest on the East Coast of Oz!
- There are many local artists as well art galleries on the island. You may just find some to take home.
- Picnic Bay Jetty is heritage listed site and is a great vantage point for the budding angler. Don't forget your fishing gear.
Magnetic Island and Picnic Bay jetty
- There are a number of masseurs on the island which can certainly get you into holiday mode.
- Take the 4WD road and picnic at secluded West Point and try and find the geocache
- There are 23 hidden bays around the "Magnetic Island" if you get a chance and have access to a boat.
- Step into Magnetic Island’s" colourful past when you visit the Magnetic Island History and Craft Center.
- Fun and fitness at "Horseshoe Bay"which has a great selection of water sports at
- Take a trip to the Great Barrier Reef with one of the charter boats to snorkel, dive or fish.
- Catch a brilliant sunset overlooking "Townsville and "Castle Hill"at Horseshoe Bay, West Point or at the end of Picnic Bay Jetty .
- Climb to the island’s peak "Mt Cook" at 497 m (1,631 ft) above sea level or some of the many rocky outcrops.
One of the many views from some of the vantage points on Magnetic Island.
- In the wet season for a great refresher! Check out the many waterfalls on the island.
- Stage Door Theater cabaret Restaurant is a great night out and a good laugh- the best in NQ! (Don't be shy!)
- At the Picnic Bay Country Club you can play a round of golf.
- Magnetic Island Bowls Club will give you a chance to test your skills at bowls. (It's not a easy as it looks in the Olympics)
- Go horse back ridding and go for a ride from the bush and into the Coral Sea.
- Check out the islands Friday night markets from 5pm till 8pm at the R.S.L. and Arcadia hotel.
- Although based in Townsville you can see the island from the air in the Red Baron a sea plane the flies out of Townsville.
The Red Barron at Magnetic Island.
- Accommodation on "Magnetic Island" includes anythings from a shared backpacker dormitory to an apartment.
- At Bungalow Bay Koala Village try something a little different and have a bush tucker breakfast.
- Try an exquisite cocktail over lunch or dinner at one of the many restaurants and bars while you take in the ocean views
- Enjoy the largest jet ski area available on the east cost of OZ, you can hire these at "Horseshoe bay"
- There are 23 individual bays and beaches so grab a book and kich back or just sit back, relax and take a load off.
- Check out our weekly 'What's On' calendar for the latest Magnetic Island listings of activities and events. www.whatsonmagneticisland.com.au
Remember to come and have a look at Magnetic Island.
Reef lodge Backpackers hostel Townsville
Always keep an eye out for specials posted on our website: